A 14-year-old boy who died after being stabbed has been named by police as Tomasz Oleszak as two other teens have been arrested.
The teen was taken to hospital with knife wounds on Monday evening, but could not be saved.
He died in the early hours of Tuesday, as a 13-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy were arrested by police.
Tomasz, who was a former pupil at Fell Dyke Primary School in Gateshead, was described as a “sweet kid” and was said to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Another parent of a student who knew the victim spoke of the heartbreaking loss of one of her son’s friends on social media, saying her son had returned home from school today “in bits”.
She said: “Honestly it’s so heartbreaking. [My son] is home from school and in shock. I can’t stop crying. It’s so tragic.
“He was a sweet kid, my son is in bits.”
Nicola Morris, 40, who lives close to the park, said: “It’s terrible, he was a lovely lad.
“His mum is very nice as well, it’s a real tragedy, he had his whole life in front of him.
“Kids of that age carrying knives is frightening and however old he is he should be punished to the full extent of the law.”
Neighbour Rafa Konobinski, 30, said: “He was a nice kid, just a boy, it’s shocking that his life has been taken like this, truly shocking.
“He is a friend of my step-son, they would play together riding their scooters, just young boys enjoying themselves.
“He was not the sort of boy to be in trouble, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and now his mother has lost a son.
“They were part of the Polish community on the Springwell estate but had been living here for quite some time and he was a popular boy.”
Northumbria Police said Tomasz was found with injuries “consistent with having been caused by a bladed article” on the Springwell Estate just after 8pm on Monday.
Officers said a 14-year-old boy was arrested suspicion of murder and held in custody.
A 13-year-old girl has also been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender and also remains in custody.
The victim’s family are being supported by specially-trained officers.
Chief Superintendent Helena Barron said: “Tomasz had his whole life ahead of him and this tragic incident has cut that life short and left his family utterly devastated.
“Their grief is unimaginable and they are in the thoughts of everyone at Northumbria Police as we continue to support them in every way we can.
“The investigation is very much ongoing and I want to thank the Springwell Estate community and everyone who has come forward with information for their support.
“While incidents of this nature are rare in our region, we do recognise the impact they have on the lives of those involved and the wider community.
“When they do occur we are committed to bringing those responsible to justice.”
She added: “Officers will remain in the area over the coming days and I urge anyone with information or concerns to speak to them.
“Once again, I want to reiterate my plea to the public not to speculate on details of the investigation.
“What might seem like an innocent comment or post on social media to you, could in reality disrupt an on-going investigation and cause further upset to the family of the victim.
“We would ask that if you did see something or have information in relation to what has happened, please come forward directly to officers.”
Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner Kim McGuinness said: “It’s devastating that our region has lost another young person to serious violence, and my thoughts are with the victim’s family who will be experiencing unimaginable pain.
“This should never have happened and it now sits with our police to carry out extensive enquiries to establish the full circumstances that have led to the senseless loss of a young life.
“I recognise the shock and concern that will no doubt be felt across local communities and I know officers will be on hand to offer reassurance.”