Twins’ ‘disgraceful’ attack on group of girls with hair and blood found on shoe

Twin sisters who launched into a violent attack on a group of girls during a night out have been spared jail, with the judge warning “not to let him down”.

Sophie and Katie Wood, then both 21, had been out in Manchester in February 2020 when Sophie bumped into one of the women.

Sophie told her to ‘watch where she was going’, before pushing the girl and punching her, prompting her sister to join in.

Four women were left with injuries to their faces, arms and legs during the attack. At one stage, Katie took off her high-heeled shoe and repeatedly hit one girl on the head as she held her head up, Manchester Crown Court heard.

Both sisters, now 24, pleaded guilty to an offence of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and an offence of affray.

Prosecuting, Paul Dockery said the group of girls spent part of the evening in the History Nightclub in Longford Street on February 2 2020.

At around 2am they left and walked in the direction of Deansgate in order to get a taxi home.

He said: “What happened, it seems, as the group were walking towards Deansgate, Sophie Wood barged into one of the women.

“It may have been by accident. The woman reacted by saying words to the effect of ‘watch what you are doing’ and that spurred Sophie Wood to react.

“She began pushing the girl then punching her and she was helped by her sister. A member of the public filmed the incident on his phone.

“The first victim was attacked by Sophie Wood, who kicked her to the head, she then grabbed hold of her hair. Her sister Katie Wood was pulled away by an unknown person, and she went on to pull another woman by the hair.

“Sophie Wood then dragged another woman off the floor by her hair and punched her to the face multiple times.

“It appeared to be a pummelling action.”

The police were called and the twins were picked up in a car, which the police later tracked down. On arrest they found a shoe in the footwell of the car with strands of hair and blood on the straps.

One woman was left with scratches to her face and leg, another had injuries to her ribs, another had scratches to her arms, chest and face, and another said she was left feeling anxious about going out on her own.

Both Sophie and Katie Wood, now 24, were said to have no previous convictions.

Mitigating for Sophie Wood, Estelle Parkhouse said her client had drank alcohol before leaving for the night out, and later bought a bottle of vodka at which both sisters poured ‘freely’ throughout the evening.

She said: ““They were walking past each other, a comment was made, there was unnecessary behaviour – she expresses embarrassment and remorse.

“This is not how young ladies on a night out should conduct themselves. She is well aware of that and is mortified.

“It is thankful nobody was more seriously injured as a result of the actions of both the defendants.”

Handing them both suspended sentences, judge Recorder Searle said: “This was disgraceful behaviour by both of you. To your credit, I accept that you are thoroughly ashamed by what happened that night.

“This was horrible to view and horrible for the victims. You have no previous convictions, you have kept out of trouble since the offences and this was wholly out of character.

“I don’t think this will happen again. Don’t let me down.”

Katie and Sophie Wood, both of Louisa Street, Openshaw, were sentenced to six months imprisonment which was suspended for 12 months, and ordered to complete 120 hours unpaid work each as well as five days of rehabilitation activity requirements.